Did you know there’s a gas station serving 81 flavors of slushies—and a variety of delicious nitro ice cream—from inside its convenience store? In this episode, EdgePetrol’s Mark Truman joins us from London and provides the inside scoop on what’s new and exciting in convenience retail across the pond. You won’t want to miss it.
Mark Truman is the Chief Revenue Officer at EdgePetrol. Mark has been working in the software space since 2010, where he helped energy companies grow through greater insight and analytics while working at GlobalData in London. In 2017, Mark helped launch the EdgePetrol product by listening closely to the challenges of the fuel retail market and helping tailor both the solution and the service to solve them. He is responsible for the customer life cycle—from marketing to sales and retention.
- 08:30 – Mark explains what Yoh Burger is and why it’s one of the coolest burger concepts inside of a gas station
- 14:15 – What’s the attitude to “gas station food” in the UK?
- 18:15 – Why a c-store in Glasgow has become a destination for 81 creative, delicious slushies
- 24:15 – Why retailers need to sit somewhere “in the middle”
- 33:30 – How the industry is changing, and why it’s difficult for people currently running a profitable business to understand that they have a problem
- 39:20 – Why Mark’s team is a big fan of Stuckey’s
- 44:30 – Let’s be honest, we’re all Buc-ee’s fans
- 46:50 – The importance of becoming “iconic”
- 56:15 – Why “doing the same things” is the biggest mistake retailers can make right now
- 1:14:30 – Why Ireland is unique for convenience store food, and back to a story how Al became a Buc-ee’s fan
Connect with Mark:
Mentioned in the Episode: