The coronavirus pandemic has raised concerns about cleanliness at convenience stores. In this episode, Mike Zahajko of CAF Outdoor Cleaning shares tips, strategies, and other information that retailers should know.
Listen direct on our website, or download on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Google Play.
Mike Zahajko is an insight leader and teacher in the retail petroleum industry with experience as a fuel retailer at Tesoro, industry supplier, and international speaker. In his current role as Executive Vice President of Sales for CAF Outdoor Cleaning, Mike works closely with over 65 of the top 100 largest c-store retailers and grocery stores in the U.S. CAF is the industry leader in supplying cleaning products to help stores differentiate with clean, grow sales and improve profitability.
By working with and benchmarking leading industry retailers, Mike shares impactful best practices, lessons learned, and trends that are shaping the competitive landscape for retail petroleum today and into the future.
Personal Info: Married with 6 kids. Lives in Utah. Graduated from BYU. Speaks Russian and Spanish and lived in Russia for 2 years. Enjoys soccer, outdoors, reading and learning.
For More Information:
- 2:30 – What can retailers do to keep their locations clean during the coronavirus pandemic?
- 6:30 – Why many retailers were caught unprepared from a cleanliness perspective
- 9:30 – Mike answers common questions about cleaning
- 15:20 – Why many people were never properly trained how to clean
- 20:00 – How can retailers communicate better with their customers?
- 23:30 – How are Americans responding to the crisis?
- 27:15 – Are you listening to your online reviews and providing a safe environment outside the store?
- 28:45 – Do gloves provide a false sense of security?
- 32:45 – Are our systems prepared for this stress test? What about retailers’ cleaning procedures and processes?
- 35:50 – What separates top-performers from the rest?
- 40:15 – Will your brand reputation survive the coronavirus? What can you do?
- 45:30 – Why cleanliness requires consistency
- 49:15 – Why some retailers will struggle to outlast the coronavirus
- 54:45 – What can convenience retailers start doing tomorrow to improve cleanliness at their locations?
- 1:01:35 – Why leadership needs to be honest with themselves about what the environment is like at their stores—and what they should look for when visiting
- 1:12:35 – Cleanliness has to be a functional system, not just a new product or bold statement
- 1:15:25 – Are there shortages in cleaning supplies?