Angelle Cloud is a rising star in convenience retailing. She’s a Registered Dietitian and the Director of Foodservice Compliance and Corporate RD at ShopRite—a popular chain of convenience stores in Louisiana. When we decided to launch this podcast, Angelle was one of the first guests we wanted to interview.
About Angelle Cloud
I’m Angelle Cloud, a Registered Dietitian from South Louisiana and graduate of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
I love keeping busy as the mother of two boys and the wife of a husband who coaches baseball, football, and teaches agriculture. I have very diverse experiences and titles that have ranged from Clinical Registered Dietitian to Nutritional Foodservices Director—which I gained by continuously working more than one job at a time throughout my career. I’ve worked within WIC, hospice and home health care companies, both city and rural hospitals, and I currently serve as the Director of Foodservice Compliance and Corporate RD with Shop Rite—a chain of convenience stores with more than 60 locations in Louisiana.
Working with Shop Rite, Tobacco Plus, and the Bourbon Street Deli has presented me with such a dynamic and exciting opportunity. I can’t help but to feel lucky that I’m able to contribute to such a great company and help grow our business.
I am always looking to better myself, my company, and others through self-education, training, and professional endeavors. Being able to influence both customers and patients on a daily basis is something that I get great joy from—and God willing, I will continue to do for years to come.
- 05:40 – From the healthcare world to fuel and convenience retailing
- 06:50 – What is boudin, exactly? Why do they love it so much in the South?
- 11:15 – ShopRite and Bourbon Street Deli. Touchscreen ordering, Southern charm, let’s talk about the stores.
- 14:30 – We eat alligators in Louisiana. What is it like? How does it taste?
- 17:15 – Rewards apps. How does it work at ShopRite?
- 18:30 – How do you balance healthy and indulgent as a dietitian?
- 21:45 – Transitioning from retail to foodservice
- 24:15 – What’s popular at the Bourbon Street Deli? (and why Angelle hates onions)
- 26:00 – Practical advice on finding menu items that work
- 28:45 – How do you train your staff to maintain consistency from one location to another?
- 30:45 – Touchscreen foodservice
- 32:45 – Frank hates onions, too!
- 36:00 – More insights on the Bourbon Street Deli, menu strategies, muffaletta, and why Al loves chicken-fried steak—and did you know they ship boudin?!
- 44:15 – The full-service restaurant in Jennings
- 45:00 – Let’s talk coffee and breakfast
- 46:45 – How did you switch from hospitals to c-stores? Let’s talk about the role of dietitians
- 50:30 – What’s the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist?
- 52:35 – How do you come up with a new menu item?
- 56:15 – Being new to fuel and convenience, what surprised you about this industry?
- 57:15 – Angelle: what trends are you following?
- 1:02:30 – What advice do you have for new folks in the fuel and c-store industry?
- 1:03:50 – What do you recommend our listeners follow?
Anthony’s Recommended Links
- ShopRite / Bourbon Street Deli / Tobacco Plus
- Bourbon Street Deli on Facebook
- ShopRite on Facebook
- ShopRite and Bourbin Street Deli on Instagram
- Retail Dietitians Business Alliance
- National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) – Al and Frank LOVE NACS
Connect with Angelle