We’re going international! In this episode, Al and Frank chat with Nic Moulis, director of FuelnGo in Australia.
How does Australia’s fuel and convenience retailing industry differ from the United States? We also discuss foodservice, coffee, Gen Z, checkout-free retail, and whether meat pies were invented in Louisiana or Australia.
Nic has spent more than 25 years as an operator and commentator in the Australian petroleum industry. Starting work at the front counter of a service station and convenience store, Nic progressed to become the owner of a multi-site retail and petroleum wholesale jobber business. As CEO of the one of the industry’s leading associations (Australasian Convenience and Petroleum Marketers Association), he advised governments on the fuel industry—including appointments to Competition Reviews, Alternative Fuels Advisory Groups, and Fuel Consultative Committees.
Nic continues to be called upon by Australian media outlets as an expert commentator on the petroleum industry. His knowledge has helped consumers and operators understand the market. Called on to speak at international conferences, Nic is recognized for his understanding of the Australasian Pacific fuel supply chain.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 4:10 – How does Australia’s market differ from the United States?
- 8:15 – Nic’s thoughts on stores that Frank saw around Sydney
- 10:10 – Al claims Louisiana invented meat pies, not Australia. Who’s right?
- 16:30 – How have convenience stores changed over the years in Australia?
- 22:20 – Let’s chat coffee
- 28:08 – Why we love touchscreen foodservice menus
- 33:15 – Let’s get back to coffee for a moment
- 36:50 – Jack & Co, grab-and-go sandwiches, and the importance of a good brand
- 44:30 – Nic’s favorite stores
- 47:15 – What’s the deal with cigarette prices and packaging in Australia? Let’s chat regulation
- 51:45 – What about cannabis and CBD?
- 54:50 – Employee turnover, creating a great workplace, and trusting your staff
- 1:02:30 – What can you do beyond just paying more?
- 1:06:15 – McDonald’s…or Macca’s?
- 1:07:45 – Plant-based food, climate change, and more
- 1:11:45 – Road trip stories, boudin, and c-stores outselling QSRs
- 1:13:30 – How is Nic’s daughter’s generation different from his own? Let’s talk millennials and Gen Z
- 1:18:40 – Checkout-free retail, Amazon Go, and more
- 1:23:20 – Why customer interaction still matters
- 1:31:45 – Quirky independent retailers
- 1:38:08 – Nic’s discusses managing a bar in a food court during his 20s
- 1:40:20 – Nic’s advice to new operators
- Nic Moulis on Linkedin
- [NACS Magazine] Convenience Down Under